Making the best cellular signal booster choice for your home can be a painless process given the right preparation. Shoppers too often make the mistake of purchasing the most affordable booster without first identifying the performance requirements for an effective booster deployment in their specific location. As a result, they often end up with a booster that is either too expensive for their needs or lacking the performance required for their unique situation. This leads to unnecessary cynicism where these misinformed buyers lose hope of finding a solution to their cell signal issues.
Luckily, we’re here to make this process as easy and effective as possible for you. By preparing yourself with some basic information about your desired booster location, you are empowered to make the best cellphone booster decision while avoiding the hassle of having to trial and error several different models.
3 Steps to Making the Best Signal Booster Choice for Home
While the wide selection of boosters, their ecosystem of antenna kitting options, as well as the competing manufacturers in the market can at first be intimidating for shoppers, doing a bit of homework before shopping for boosters will better ensure that you find the best model for your needs. This saves you the headache of trying multiple models which are likely designed for less demanding locations than yours.
Remember, your chief objective here is to figure out exactly how much performance you need to solve the cell signal issue at your home, office, or vehicle–no more and no less. Overestimate this, and you’ll end up paying for performance you don’t need. Underestimate it, and you risk becoming disillusioned with signal boosters after unsatisfactory trial and errors.
- Determine the square footage of the area you hope to cover. While you can certainly opt to cover every room in your home with a signal booster, you may find that you only need to cover a portion of your home. This is where you can look to save money by downsizing the desired sq footage where you hope to maximize coverage. Do you need to boost coverage throughout your entire home or would you be happy with solid coverage in select rooms? Giving yourself some square footage options here goes a long way to understanding which booster tier is right for you.
Covering smaller 1-2 room areas in the home can be accomplished with the Whip indoor antenna option. For larger areas separated by several walls, you’ll want to consider the Panel antenna or even getting expert design assistance with branching multiple indoor antennas to cover several floors.
- Measure the cellular signal strength JUST outside of your home. This is the key step that can make or break your signal booster experience. The objective here is to figure out how much performance you will need out of your Booster + Outside and Inside antenna kitting combo. By taking the time to survey the cell signal just outside of your home, you can avoid the mistake that most people make where they buy a cheaper booster model which wasn’t designed to offer the level of performance they need for their location.
Although you can simply take out your phone and grab the 1-5 bar signal strength reading in this step, here’s an in-depth guide to accurately benchmark your cellular reception.
If you experience low (0-2 bars or worse than -91 dBm) signal strength while just outside of your home, this means that your cellular signal is barely able to make it to your location from the nearest cell tower and that you will want to choose a higher-performance booster to compensate for the weak original signal. In other words, you will want to choose the Yagi outdoor antenna over the Omni, as well as consider a more expensive booster model.
Remember, the weaker the incoming signal, or the larger the desired coverage area in your building, the higher the performance you will need to get out of your booster and Outdoor/Indoor antenna options. The converse is also true, which means if you notice that your outside signal strength is quite strong (3+ bars) you will likely be satisfied with the budget options.
- Identify desired booster features. No matter who you end up purchasing your signal booster from, you’ll want to first make sure that their booster models are legal by looking for their FCC certification. Unlicensed booster are not only illegal due to their tendency to disrupt the cell tower network, they often lack the performance or features that FCC-compliant booster such as ours sport.
One such feature is that all of SureCall’s signal boosters are fully compatible with all North American carriers. At first, this feature may seem superficial, but for home boosters people often find the omni-carrier compatibility to come in handy especially when they have friends or relatives over who use different carriers. In addition, you will never have to worry about buying a nearly identical booster everytime you switch or add networks.
Another important feature to look for in a quality booster is bi-directional amplification. Many of the bargain bin boosters in the market tend to cut corners by only boosting signals in the downlink (cell tower to your cell phone) direction, which is useless for most folks. Having been in the signal boosting industry for 20 years, SureCall builds all of its boosters for bi-directional amplification, allowing you to retain strong signals from even the most remote locations.
There are many more advanced features of boosters, including SureCall’s exclusively patented ERT technology, that we could talk about here. To save you the trouble of researching this on your own, we’ve condensed most of the top signal booster features on this article.
With these simple three steps, you’re now ready to make the right booster choice. Keep in mind that all SureCall boosters are backed by a 60-day money back guarantee, 3-year warranty, and lifetime US-based tech support, ensuring your complete satisfaction or your money back.
Choose the Best Cell Phone Booster for Home
Now that you’ve done the homework, you’ve got all the tools you need to help you discern which signal boosters offer the performance you’re looking for. Armed with the desired performance characteristics we determined in steps #1 through #3, you will find that it’s a lot more difficult for salesmen to trick you into spending more money than you need. Furthermore, you also understand the very real danger of also spending too little for the level of performance your location demands.
Combined, these make you a smart shopper who stands a good chance of picking up the right booster on your first purchase. To get an idea of how Steps #1-3 can be applied to your signal booster purchasing decision, simply follow your corresponding flow lines in the infographic below.
Share this Infographic on your Page by copying the HTML Below
Top Cell Phone Signal Booster Choices for Home
- EZ 4G: With Plug-and-Play set-up as well as the non-invasive installation which doesn’t require any cabling through your walls, the EZ 4G is the perfect entry-level signal booster for locations which don’t demand extraordinary performance. While other more advanced boosters require routing a cable through your wall to the outside antenna for that extra bit of performance, the EZ 4G antenna dish wants the be conveniently placed just inside the window which offers the strongest incoming cell signal.
Even though the EZ 4G is well-designed for the work-from-home professional who wants to be able to make and take reliable calls from the home office without having to re-wire the building, users who experience less than 2 cell bars outside their building or who want to cover more than 2,000 sq ft will want to consider higher-performance options as indicated by the infographic above.
- Flare: The Flare is the next step up in performance and pairs an Omni outdoor antenna with the stylish Flare tower. Assuming that your desired sq footage and outside signal strength is compatible with the Flare’s performance range, users will find the Flare’s small form-factor to be convenient while offering better performance than the EZ 4G.
- Flare 3.0: The Flare 3.0 pairs the same base indoor amplifier with an upgraded Yagi outdoor antenna and is designed for locations that are more remote from cell tower networks. Users looking to cover up to 2,500 sq ft who receive less than or equal to 2 bars of signal strength on their phones just outside of the home will appreciate the Flare 3.0’s increased performance in the same compact package.
- Fusion4Home: The Fusion4Home is our most popular home signal booster model and for good reason–it offers the best combination of economical pricing and performance. Designed for flexibility, the Fusion4Home’s feature-driven performance is more than suitable for the vast majority of locations while the base amplifier, built with heat-resistant materials, can be paired with a powerful variety of indoor and outdoor antenna kitting options for additional floor plan and performance flexibility.
- Fusion5s: The Fusion5s signal booster is the next step up in performance and provides a serious boost up to 6,000 sq feet in area under ideal conditions. Just like the rest of SureCall’s booster line-up, the Fusion5s is fully compatible with all NA carriers and is built from high-quality heat resistant materials, offering users solid performance and peace of mind at a reasonable price point.
- 6-10k sq ft or Across Multiple Floors: Those looking to cover larger areas of their home or even multiple floors in the same building will want to find one of SureCall’s certified installers in their area to ensure a smooth signal booster deployment. The reason for this is simple: larger areas and/or complex floor plans typically require the services of one of SureCall’s trained & certified technicians who can maintain signal coverage throughout the difficult obstacles that are your home’s walls and floors.
- Over 10k sq ft or Across Multiple Floors: If you’re looking to cover areas over 10,000 square feet or and/or complex floor plans spanning multiple floors, you’ll want to request a custom design plan from one of our experts, as this requires deep technical experience that is above even many of our certified installers.
Ready to Make the Right Purchase?
Regardless of where you end up buying your signal booster, you’re now much better prepared to make the right signal booster choice for your home’s unique location-based demands. Salesmen will find it difficult to convince you to spend more money on performance you won’t need. More importantly, you’ll avoid the most common pitfall where users try to save money on a booster that was never designed for the severity of their cell signal issues.
If you feel we may have helped you avoid a negative experience on your next signal booster purchase, why not give us a shot at solving your cell signal issues? Browse our selection of Signal Boosters for Home or click on one of our models above for more information.